Sunday, January 16, 2011

Pink Floyd The Wall (Alan Parker)


Film Review Archive (date seen: October 9, 2010)

Psychedelic trip of a film with an endless haze of acid-inspired imagery. I'm not much of a music fan, so I'm not particularly acquainted with the band Pink Floyd and their music (except perhaps the recurring mentions of their album "The Dark Side of the Moon"). After watching it, and dare I say it's one of those films with a content that's very, very hard to swallow at first viewing, I'll say "Pink Floyd The Wall" is a great, although ambiguous experience for me.

If there's one thing I have to continually praise in it apart from the music, then it is the film's ability to tell a personal tale about a tormented protagonist and at the same time, tackle and expose, with over-the-top surrealism, some radical thoughts, the horrors of war, extreme education system, and the pain of psychological isolation. The film's about Pink, a depressed rock star sheltering himself from the horrors of his past, but also clinging on some of its faded memories. There's not much dialogue in the film, and if there's ever a scene required to have some, the sounds were particularly toned down and almost inaudible, supporting the film's stance that "music", above all, is its grand storyteller.

There were also some "Python"-esque animations that enhanced the visual texture of the film, which led me to a conclusion that even though I can personally put "Pink Floyd The Wall" in the "unforgettable" section of my film-viewing experience, I think some scenes stand alone and are even better than the sum of most of its parts. But it's a compelling film anyway, and removing its surreal touches does not make the film's emotional core any weaker.

FINAL RATING
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die

Ivan6655321's iCheckMovies.com Schneider 1001 movies widget